Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Golf Day

Since tomorrow is our annual work golf tournament I thought I would reminisce about this tournament 2 years ago. The 2008 golf tournament is the one that sticks out in my memory because the firm opted to have the meeting first and the golf second which meant that the beer carts were out in full force for the entire length of the tournament!


Accountants (work hard/party hard attitude in play) + beer + hot summer’s day = FUN

So as you can all probably tell by now, if there is a way for me to make a situation awkward, I will find it. Also, if there is a way to embarrass myself in front of my colleagues then I will also do that.

The day was going by fairly uneventfully. I was in a great foursome and since we were playing best ball, the game wasn’t too tedious. That was until I decided to try to retrieve something that was at the bottom of my golf bag while waiting for my team to finish their shots.

The bag was strapped to the back of the golf cart. I’ve got fairly long monkey arms but they are not quite long enough to reach the very bottom of my golf bag so I had to really stretch out to reach the bottom. So here I am with my arm, pit deep in my golf bag when I realize that I can’t pull it back out! I don’t know if it was because of the angle that my arms was in the bag since it was elevated on the back of the golf cart, or the width of my enormous pipes or a combination of the two, but my arm was wedged in the bag and was not about to move.

This is when I start to panic.

Do I keep pulling and hope that it will dislodge itself?

Do I ask someone in my foursome to help me out?

Do I just lean up against the bag casually as if it’s normal to have your arm entirely inside your golf bag and hope to god that nobody jumps into the cart and takes off?! What do I do?!

I don’t have much time to make up my mind before the team decides to move to the next hole. This is when I realize that I need to ask for help. GC, happened to be the first to notice that I was doing something strange so I had to suck it up and admit to him that my arm is stuck in the golf bag. Now GC is always the first to poke fun at me when I’ve made a fool of myself. I’m sure he would swear that he is laughing with me, not at me. So the first thing that he does, before trying to help solve the problem, is take a picture!



Now my embarrassment is immortalized for all to see! Ok, maybe I’m being slightly dramatic but there is definitely proof so I will not be able to deny it and chalk it up to GC’s wild imagination after 1 to many “pops”.  Thankfully GC took pity on me and unstrapped the bag from the cart and helped me shimmy my arm out of the hole.

Now let’s jump a couple months forward to our annual Christmas Party. A slide show was put together with photos from all the events that had been held during the year, including the golf day. So periodically through the night, this photo of me stuck in the golf bag would show up on screen.  I would smile to myself and then "oh Jody, why do you do these things". Then this photo popped up:


Just when you think you’ve embarrassed yourself enough for one year, someone finds a photo like this! The icing on the cake.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. You had me at:

    "if there is a way for me to make a situation awkward, I will find it. Also, if there is a way to embarrass myself in front of my colleagues then I will also do that."

    You are not alone, sista, not alone. AWKWARD SOLIDARITY! WOOOO!

    Let me know if this CG needs a butt kickin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit. I mean GC. And now, I no longer sound tough. Dammit GC, it is all your fault!

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete