Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I assaulted a man today

EDIT:  Ok, maybe assaulted is a little over dramatic. 

If there is a way to make myself look awkward in a situation, I do.  Like the time I got my arm stuck up to the armpit in my golf bag.  A story I will have to tell another day.   

This morning while waiting at the fake Starbucks in Jackson Square to feed my caffeine addiction, I did just that.  Now, since this is Hamilton, it is pretty hard to make a fool of yourself in comparison to the daily rift raft that hang out in Jackson Square, but I managed to do just so.

I was second in line and I had already gotten the exact change out of my wallet to pay.  I didn't want to hold up the line while scrounging around my wallet trying to find 15 pennies. I hate when you get stuck behind one of those people. 

Since this week has been unusually hot, I was feeling a little sticky from my walk from the parking lot to the Starbucks.  My hair was kind of stuck to my face and in my mind I was going to gently brush it to the side, so that it didn't end up in my mouth when I placed my order.  Because that would be embarrassing.

Instead, when my brain told my arm to gently brush the side of my face this is what actually happened. I dramatically swept my hair out of my face using way more force than required.  Very hollywood and totally unnecessary.  Who do I think I am?  At the same time, I forgot that I had a bunch of change in my fist. I opened my fist and the money went flying.  Unfortunately there was a man standing right behind me.  The handful of money hit him, probably mid chest and then bounced all over the floor. 

I turned around to apologize, trying to hide my laughter because that's what I do when I know I've made a fool of myself plus it actually was really funny!  I would have laughed at someone else who did the same thing.  Who throws their money at someone?!  He just stared blankly at me like I was an idiot.  Which isn't really far from the truth because most people have better motor skills than me.  So I apologized and giggled to prove to him that it was funny and he should at least smile.  He didn't make a sound and continued to start at me.  I then scrounged around on the floor picking up my change that was now surrounding his feet.  

What does someone do in a situation like this after they have made a scene and then been denied the customary "Don't worry about it"?  I placed my order, avoided eye contact with everyone else in the store and high tailed it out of there!

1 comment:

  1. In the words of Allie Brosh of Hyperbole, he was probably just a "douche bad". lol.

    What more can you say but sorry, really. And worst case, I bet you looked all movie-star hot as you flung your hair.

    All those suckers in there were probably jealous and therefore left speechless.

    Yeah. Go with that. ;-)

    Judging by the title of the post, I was expecting much much worse.... ha!

    ReplyDelete