Thursday, September 9, 2010

My mom tried to give me away...

My mom kindly reminded me of this story tonight while we were talking and I feel like I should quickly share the story before I forget it!

So as you can imagine, I was a bit of a terror of a child.  Not in the bad way (if that makes sense).  I wasn't a bad kid by any means but I definitely tested my parents patience...from day 1.

My mom has told me many times that when I was little she tried to give me back to the doctor.  I was very allergic to cows milk but before they figured this out all I did was cry and thump around in my bed.  As my mom told me tonight she already had one child and she knew that this wasn't normal, that there must be something wrong with me!

So on a particularly trying evening she took me to the doctor, who is also a very close family friend and told him "if you don't think there is anything wrong with her, then you keep her!".  The thought of having to keep me scared him enough to take my mom's concerns seriously and they quickly discovered that it was the cows milk. 

What my mom hadn't told me before is that prior to this episode she had left me overnight with one of her friends.  I was so horrible during those 12 or so hours, that the lady very shortly after went to have her tubes tied!!!  As a child I single handily made a women decide to forgo the option of having children!!  

Impressive or incredibly sad?! 

2 comments:

  1. The answer is yes.

    Noooo, every child has their moment. Or period of time. Or a few years. Or so. Who is really counting???

    I think a koala bear kid would be pretty damn interesting/intriguing/neat.

    And mom never actually did disown you, so all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph.

    It is posts like this one that make me realize how different peoples sense of humor are. The post was meant to be funny. I laughed when my mom told me that the lady decided that one night with me was enough although I think others might read it differently. This is the beauty of a blog!

    ReplyDelete